Sunday, June 2, 2024

2 June (Sun) Hong Kong Cultural Museum

A museum that documented the culture scene in Hong Kong. Not just the main exhibition about martial arts world of Jin Yong, but also dated all the way back to the Chinese Opera and the local contemporary musical scene. 


It is less accessible than I thought it is. Am grateful for my local guides, cousins Annie and Ricky. 
Not just my navigator, I got commentary of a great fan (Ricky) - what’s most memorable is the knowledge and passion through the articulation. 


I confess that I’m not a big fan of Jinyong. Nevertheless, thanks to HK TVB, I “watched” (instead of reading) his novels through the various dramas - which was a definite hit in the 1980s-1990s. There’s when the 5 “tigers” were “born” - playing the various lead roles in his novels. The only novel I read was 射雕英雄传. Nevertheless, many of the characters left lasting memories. That’s the power of the writer.

Got to learn more about Bruce Lee, who’s definitely the pride of the Chinese community, in particular, Hong Kong’s. His faith and the belief, and influence through the cultural scene.


Had the opportunity to see and yes, see it closely, the kind of costumes that artistes like Anita Mui, Roman Lo wore at concerts, too. These costumes looked so unreal - showy… but that’s what marked that era of showmanship. 

Learnt something that’s entirely new - the pre-show presentation that announced the cast before the actual show. Does that apply to those shows outside HK?




No comments:

Post a Comment